What is GAP
Guaranteed Automobile Protection
I have insurance on my vehicle why would I need GAP protection?
In the event of a total loss your insurance will pay you the Fair Market Value or Actual Cash value of your vehicle. When you financed your vehicle you may have included accessories, aftermarket products, sales tax, fees, or Extended Service Contracts to the amount financed. Add to that the fact that you pay mostly interest in the first few years of your loan, and principle later, you may owe considerably more than the value of your vehicle. Your insurance may not cover what you still owe on your loan.
GAP coverage helps protect your investment with coverage that bridges the GAP of what your insurance settlement is and what you still owe on your loan in the event your vehicle is deemed a total loss due to accident or theft. In essence, it waives the loss up to $100,000 so you can get into a new vehicle without still having to pay a debt on a total loss vehicle.
Is it expensive to get?
No. GAP coverage is not expensive. It costs as little as just one coffee per month.
Can’t I get GAP from my insurance provider or another source?
Sure, you may be able to get GAP coverage from your own insurance provider or outside source. Keep in mind the GAP coverage our dealership in Fort Collins provides also covers your insurance deductible up to $1000. You may save $100 or so buying it elsewhere, but in the event of a total loss, you will have to pay your full deductible before the GAP coverage pays out.
Here is how GAP Works:
Let’s say you buy a $25,000 vehicle and pay on it for a year when someone hits your vehicle and totals it. Let’s say your loan contract payoff is $23,000 and your insurance settlement is $20,000. You will still owe the bank $3,000.
Gap total coverage will waive your $3,000 and you will owe the bank $0!
- In the event of a total loss, insurance companies only pay the actual cash value (ACV) of the vehicle at the time of loss, not the amount owed on the vehicle.
- Vehicle comprehensive insurance costs around $100 to $150 per month. If the vehicle is totaled, borrowers may only get 75% to 80% of their loan balance covered.
- The deficiency or GAP can easily be thousands of dollars that come out of the customer’s pocket.
- If left unpaid, this could cause permanent damage to the borrower’s credit history and create tremendous dissatisfaction with their purchase or lease experience.
- With Express AUTOGAP, benefits are paid up to $50,000 filling the gap between the insurance settlement and the loan balance.
- Protection is provided for the term of the loan/lease, up to 84 months.
- Coverage is applicable for vehicles valued up to $100,000.00.
- Benefits paid up to $50,000.00.
- Minimal monthly cost to the customer.
- Underwritten by an “A” rated insurer; Virginia Surety, Inc.
How it Works:
In the event that a covered vehicle is at a total loss due to theft or collision, contact Express Systems, Inc. at 1-877-705-4001 to file a claim. Once the insurance settlement has been reached, Express Systems will cover the gap between the insurance settlement and loan balance up to $50,000!
Q- What is GAP?
A- Gap or Guaranteed Asset Protection policies pay the difference owed between the Actual Cash Value as determined by your insurance company and what is owed to the lender.
Q- What is the maximum payable loss amount for this program?
A- Up to $50,000.00.
Q- Can this GAP policy be used for commercial vehicles?
A- No. This GAP policy is not eligible for commercial vehicles.
Q- What if the customer refinances the loan, will the GAP contract transfer to the new loan?
A- No. The GAP contract stays with the loan, so the Gap contract must be canceled if the customer refinances.
Q- Will lenders advance for this program?
A- Yes. Lenders will advance.
Q- Is this program transferable to another car?
A- No. This program is not transferable as the GAP contract is tied to the loan.
Q- Is this program cancelable?
A- Yes. Please refer to the agreement for specific cancellation instructions.